Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Finished Farmhouse Table

He did it! He really is the best, and this latest feat helps to show that off. Richard has finished the Farmhouse table. 

It is a hefty 9' x 4' so it should be able to seat quite a few people. 

Cue angels singing.


First meal at the table! Meagan and I made flambeed chicken with asparagus, spring green salad with quick-pickled vegetables, and homemade ricotta gnocchi with asparagus, peas, and mushrooms. Mmmm...

Please disregard the ironing board, beer bottle, recycling, and still unhung artwork.
A couple of weeks ago, Richard finally got the table just right and then added the two end pieces which run perpendicular to the main part of the table. Then he tweaked it and got it just right again. 

Originally we had planned to stain it a dark walnut color so that the wood color wouldn't look too similar to the hardwood floor. But when I saw the finished table with that gorgeous unfinished-wood look, I changed my mind. I figured that once we have a rug down under the table, you wouldn't really be able to tell if the wood colors were too similar. Or at least, you wouldn't really care. 


The bottom piece shows the gradual progression in stains to choose from. I originally liked the second from the left, but then changed my mind to finally rest on the one on the far right. 
The winning stain, which isn't even a stain -- just a clear, protective finish.



Perf, just perfing away.







Here you can see the table top halfway finished. 




The second meal at the farmhouse table: orecchiette with asparagus and feta (we just subbed the pasta and didn't use shrimp -- pertinent only if you click the link), balsamic skirt steak with parmesan polenta (again, one minor recipe omission -- the tomatoes)
  
And clearly, the pitcher of daffodils is part of the table. Those are two different bouquets -- I promise. I just can't help it. They're my favorite flower, and they only bloom for a month or so. I gotta scoop them up and enjoy them while I can. 

One last look at the lovely table.

As for chairs, we've planned to have a bench along one side and then chairs on the ends and on the other side. My parents have an old church pew that they've offered to us, and we can't wait to try it out. Now just to haul it back from SC. 

Here are some chairs that we've thought about, but I think we're leaning more towards a light gray color -- definitely something light and neutral. 

I've also been regularly checking Craigslist to try and score a set of inexpensive chairs to fit our needs until we can afford to buy the eight chairs for the table. 











No comments:

Post a Comment