Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Gallery Wall Update (again!)

There have been a couple of things that I've wanted to change about our gallery wall -- namely, the one white frame needed to be replaced, and I was ready to replace some of the placeholder (aka Anthropology catalog pages) pictures with real ones. 

Once I started working on those things, I noticed that the top, left-hand corner could use some better spacing ("kerning" if this was typeface or "fenestration" if these were windows). So, that was a pretty easy fix, but it also used up my small, black frame that I was planning to use to replace the small, white frame that looks so woefully out of place now that I've noticed it's the only white one. 



I only switched out two of the placeholder pictures on this go-round, but that way I can have more to replace later and always be changing (and loving) the gallery wall! 

When I mentioned to my friend Shelly that I was wanting to switch out the one white frame for a darker frame, she suggested painting it gold to match the other two gold ones. What a brilliant idea! And then! She suggested dry brushing the paint so that you could still see hints of the white frame. I loved that idea. 

BUT when I went to makeover the small, white frame, I realized that I don't have any acrylic gold paint that I like. I have plenty of gold spray paint, but none for dry brushing. So I just used gold leaf instead. I am really a fan of gold leaf. It is so easy to do. 

To use gold leaf, you just apply the adhesive (sold in a kit with the gold leaf or separately) and let it sit for about 30 min then apply the gold leaf, shiny-side down. Then press the gold leaf on, peel back the backing, and voila! Gold! 




I love that the gold leaf is bright and that it doesn't completely cover the frame. It adds just the right hint of glint to make the frames seem more cohesive. 

There will certainly be more gallery walls to come!

New and improved! With two placeholder (read: catalog pages) replaced, a new small, black frame in the upper left corner, and a gilded, bottom-right frame!



No comments:

Post a Comment