Friday, February 13, 2015

Thrifted Frames

I do love a good thrifting trip. 

Every few weekends, I'll hit a few Goodwills, and one thing that is always on my list to keep an eye for is frames. I always check out the frame/mirror/art section to see if there are any good ones or big ones or square ones. I usually don't care about the color because I can either spray paint them or just hold onto them until that particular color works for a gallery wall or a certain photo or piece of art. 

Some of them are a little more difficult to make-over though. But only just a tiny bit more difficult. These are the ones that were custom framed or the big ones that aren't a normal frame size. They have more backing behind the frame and almost always have paper across the back from the original framing. 

I found these two green frames a few weeks ago, and then found this nice, big white one last weekend. So I've felt motivated to get a new gallery wall in the works with these three. 





I just flipped each of them over and used a blade to carefully cut around the edges of the paper backing. 






This revealed another layer on the back (thick cardboard for each of these frames) that was held down by staples. This was probably the most tedious part -- having to carefully pry each of the staples out or bend them up in order to have clear access to glass front of the frame. 





Once I removed all of the layers of backing and moved the staples out of the way, I then had access to the artwork (yes, that cat picture is considered art). I kept each piece of the backing and the artwork in case I need any of when I put my own pictures or art in the frames. 


After I emptied the frames, I just primed and spray painted them white. And now I have three frames (one large-ish and two medium) to anchor my gallery wall. 

I guess I need to get to work on what to put in the frames. 

What looks like a thumb in the bottom right-hand corner of the photo is actually just spray paint on the drop cloth. I swear. 


Oh yeah, and since my body is actively building another person, I wanted to take precautions when painting. I was in the incredibly well-ventilated outdoors, and I also wore this guy: 

Also, please note that my thumb tip is white. So that couldn't have been my thumb in the previous picture.


I asked Richard where he got such a pretty, pink mask, and he scoffed and told me that those were just the kind of filters that were on it. I don't think I have a full understanding of that, but I do still think it's pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment