Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Our Sweet Savannah Tate

Where to even begin? 


photo credit: Bella Baby Photography

We've had sweet baby sister in our lives for going on three months now, and we are all smitten. She's beautiful and an angel and just such a perfect addition to our family. 

Just like her brother, she arrived on the scene very quickly. In fact, we barely made it to the hospital in time to have her. 

Last time around, we delivered at St. Mary's, and I had gone the route of a low-intervention birth, but all of my prenatal visits had been with an OB practice that is more on the modern-medicine side of things. This time, I opted to go with a midwife practice to have an even less medically invasive birth experience. 


photo credit: Colleen Wallace

I decided on the Midwives at St. Francis, and I'm so glad I did. The hospital is eight minutes away (which ended up being an important factor), and I really loved the midwives that I met and had prenatal appointments with. Not to mention, our incredible birth experience. 


Let me just say, our experience last time at St. Mary's was really wonderful, all things considered. But our time at St. Francis this time around was so amazing. It was leaps and bounds better than our last hospital birth experience. 



photo credit: Colleen Wallace


photo credit: Colleen Wallace


photo credit: Colleen Wallace


photo credit: Colleen Wallace


From the very beginning, things were different with the midwives. We only had two ultrasounds this time around. My appointments were short and basically consisted of giving me information relevant to my stage in pregnancy, checking baby's heartbeat and my growth, and asking if I had any questions or concerns. It was so refreshing! I felt well taken care of, but not alarmed or overwhelmed with things I should/shouldn't be doing. And some of that may be just that this was my second pregnancy. 

So this time, I wasn't faced with a looming induction date. I was seen at 39 weeks 6 days, and I made an appointment for the following week, 40 weeks and 5 days. That appointment would have included an ultrasound to check on baby Savannah and then we would have set an induction date. But, praise Jesus! We didn't make it to that appointment. 

On Friday November 3rd, Savannah's due date, around 4:00 pm, I started having some stronger-than-normal Braxton-Hicks contractions and started trying to track them. They were getting to be marginally more intense, but nothing close to consistent. 


photo credit: Colleen Wallace


I texted Colleen (our doula) to let her know that I thought it would maybe be sometime in the middle of the night. I called my mom to make sure that we were all good for having my parents come to the apartment to watch Bear since he was already asleep. Richard put the infant car seat in his truck instead of my car so my parents could have a car with Bear's car seat in case of an emergency. And he put our hospital bag in the truck, too. 

Colleen called and I talked to her about what I was feeling. She said that it wasn't labor yet since I was able to laugh (ha!). I took a bath and ate some dinner. I ended up going into Bear's room and reading him a book since he was having trouble settling down for bedtime. 


photo credit: Bella Baby Photography 


photo credit: Bella Baby Photography

Throughout all of that I had contractions here and there. They were strong, but they were still timed out inconsistently -- four minutes apart, then eight minutes, then ten, then six, etc. 


Around 9:30 pm or so, I laid down to try and get some sleep. I was still tracking contractions but was able to get some rest in between them. About an hour later, (still having contractions, just totally inconsistent in timing) I had a really strong contraction that both Richard and I recognized as true labor. (Richard knew based on the sounds I was making.) Then I had another one just like it 2.5 minutes later. 


photo credit: Jordan Rodericks


photo credit: Jordan Rodericks


When it ended, I told Richard, "Call everyone!" He called my parents to tell them to come over to the apartment stat. Then he called the midwives line to let them know that we'd be headed to the hospital very soon. I called Colleen to tell her the same while we were frantically gathering the last of the things that we'd need to take with us. I was on the phone with her through a couple of contractions, and she reiterated what we already knew: get to the hospital now! 

Richard flew down the empty highway to the hospital, and we got there sometime around 11:30 pm. I had a couple of serious contractions on the way there and then stayed in the truck for a contraction while Richard ran inside to get me a wheelchair that I very much did not want. 


photo credit: Colleen Wallace 

photo credit: Colleen Wallace 

photo credit: Colleen Wallace

I had a contraction outside the hospital and knelt down on the sidewalk with my arms anchored on a cast iron bench. Then I had four more contractions while making our way up to labor and delivery. Colleen had met us in the lobby and helped me through the contractions on our way up to L&D. 

The nurses got me all set up for fetal monitoring and told me I needed to be monitored for twenty minutes and then I'd be free to get up and walk around for labor. Well, I didn't make it to the walking-around part. 


photo credit: Jordan Rodericks

Our Savannah Tate arrived at 12:04 am on November 4th, 2017. She was only four minutes past her due date. She weighed 8 lbs 11.9 oz and measured 19 inches long, and she surprised us with her chubby, kissable cheeks and a full head of hair! And man, do I love babies with hair!


photo credit: Bella Baby Photography

photo credit: Bella Baby Photography

It was intense and fast, and I'm so glad I had some of the best people by my side coaching me through all of it. Richard was amazing and had encouraging things to say like, "You've already done this once! You can do it again!" in response to me yelling, "This is hard!!"


And as I've said before, I plan to always have Colleen by my side when bringing a baby into this world. She was such an important part of Bear's birth, and she was equally helpful and encouraging for Savannah's birth. She helped me through early labor (when I didn't realize that I was laboring at home) and told me what to do for the drive to the hospital and how to handle my contractions until she met us there. 

She took amazing photos throughout my (short) labor and during our treasured golden hour with our brand new baby. 


photo credit: Colleen Wallace 


photo credit: Colleen Wallace

Between Colleen and Kim, our midwife, I had such an amazing birth experience that was so different from my first (also mostly wonderful) birth. They prevented any tearing, coached and encouraged me through all of it, and we got to have delayed cord cutting. Richard even got to cut the cord this time! 

And then we got to hold our sweet girl. We had well over an hour, almost entirely uninterrupted, where we got to snuggle and hold her and just soak her in and stare at her precious cheeks and lips and nose and on and on. 


photo credit: Jordan Rodericks 

photo credit: Jordan Rodericks



Then the wonderful nurses came and weighed and measured her, and we were surprised at her size (almost 8 lb 12oz!). Everything was so relaxed and routine and chill. Whereas with Bear, he had been taken to the NICU and everything felt rushed and frenetic. So, this was a refreshing surprise to us. 

We are so in love with this snuggly, little angel, and life as a family of four is a new adventure for all of us!


photo credit: Jordan Rodericks

Photography: Colleen Wallace, Jordan Rodericks, and Bella Baby Photography





1 comment: