Friday, September 5, 2014

Labor Day Weekend

This past weekend was so wonderful. I was lucky enough to get Friday off as well, so I had a glorious, four-day weekend. 

I spent Friday running a bunch of errands and cleaning up the house. It's so nice to have a day to just get everything done -- especially when it's a weekday, and you don't have to worry about the Saturday crowds. 

On Saturday, I met five of my wonderful friends at New Kent Winery. I love that place, and I love their wines. We had all packed lunches, so after the wine tasting, we sat out on the porch and ate lunch and drank wine. 
After New Kent, we drove back to Richmond and then reconvened at my house for an evening of cooking together. 

Heather and Meagan picked a delicious menu for us, and we all worked on various parts of the meal and then sat down together at the farmhouse table. 

The menu:

Appetizers
Asparagus wrapped in Phyllo dough with a lemon garlic aioli

Dinner
Grilled Flank Steak with tomatoes, red onion and balsamic

Fresh Panzanella salad 

Dessert 
Peach dumplings with a bourbon hard sauce and vanilla ice cream 


We also had a sweet potato appetizer that had sautéed kale, pine nuts, and a roasted red pepper aioli, but I can't find that recipe. 

It was all delicious!  

We were all cooking (six of us in the kitchen!), but I somehow didn't snap a photo of the full kitchen and all of the cooks. 

Part of our delicious spread

Flank steak and bruschetta topping

Fresh panzanella salad
And on Sunday, we went to the Rappahannock river for a nice visit with my Aunt Cherryl and some family friends. Lola absolutely loves the river, and this time, she discovered that she can swim. Richard was throwing some sticks for another dog on the beach, and Lola decided that she wanted in on the fetch game also. So, she swam and fetched and swam and fetched. And then shook off the river water onto all of us and then rolled around in the sand. 

Mmm, wet, sandy, river dog. 










Corn-hole tournament! There were six sets of boards going at the beginning of the tournament. 

The other half of the corn-hole tournament participants


No comments:

Post a Comment