Saturday, June 27, 2015

The (Mostly) Finished Nursery

At this point, all I want is for this baby to show up. We've been ready for weeks to meet him and hold him and stare at him all day and love him. And now I've reached that point in pregnancy that I knew I would reach -- the time has come that I'm ready for him to learn to use his own body and no longer occupy mine. 

It has been an easy and (dare I say it?) enjoyable pregnancy, but ever since hitting 38 weeks, I've been ready to move on to the next phase of this journey. Plus, my feet are super puffy. 

So, while we wait on Baby Bear to make his much-anticipated arrival, here are some pictures of the nursery progress. 



Richard designed and measured and built and tweaked these shelving units until they were perfect. It makes the closet a much more usable space for the nursery rather than just having the previous closet set up of one closet bar and one shelf on top. 

I got those baskets on a great 50% off sale at Michael's, and you can't tell from the picture, but they're a nice, dark denim. I love that they're soft enough to not have sharp edges for when he's more mobile, but they're sturdy enough to hold their shape. They're currently holding extra diapers and wipes, a few things that we won't need until he's older, and so many blankets made and given to us with so much love! 

Seriously, the number of homemade blankets that we've received for him has warmed my heart so much! I can't wait to hold him in each blanket and tell him about the person who made it and how they've impacted my life and how much they love him. Homemade blankets make me tear up, y'all. (It's the blankets and not the hormones, I swear.)



And this is a blank, gray wall. Actually, it's where the mini gallery wall will go when I get around to filling in the frames, getting the missing frames that we still need, and actually putting all of those things up on the wall. It will happen. Some day. 

This is also the Ikea Malm dresser that used to be one half of our bedside table set (we've since replaced them with much, much smaller bedside tables). At the time that I painted the dressers, I freaked out and said that I hated the color because they looked like they belonged in a nursery for twin baby boys (since we have two of these dressers). Then I learned to like them, and I felt like the bronze hardware helped them out. 

And, now, I have a dresser that's the perfect color for a baby boy's nursery! 

We also got the Ikea Raskog cart, which I was so pleasantly surprised to find is now only $30! I've always known it as "that $50 cart from Ikea," so when I found it on their website for $29.99, I was so happy! 

Speaking of inexpensive and awesome things from Ikea, I was inspired by the nursery dresser organization of Chelsea, and so I bought two sets of the Skubb organizers and even had some left over after using them in all three drawers. Some people that have been impressed by the dresser drawers have asked how the organizers fit so perfectly in the drawers. And, well, it's really just because Ikea organizers are made to fit Ikea dressers. So, yeah. Nothing I did to make it fit so nicely. 



Top drawer (and a baby bump!): diapers (little, tiny, newborn ones right now!), wipes, diaper creams, sound machine, and some room for any other miscellaneous things that we find we'd like to have within close reach. 




Middle drawer: swaddling blankets (galore!), newborn onesies, some 0-3 month onesies, baby socks and hats, burp cloths. 




Bottom drawer: crib sheets, 3 month onesies, boppy cover, 0-3 month & 3 month onesies, 0-3 month pants (such tiny pants!), more burp cloths. 




And this is a combination of sweet thoughts from more people who love Bear already! The garland is wood burned and painted pennants made by Emmy (here's more of her awesome wood burnings!) for my baby shower. The art block is a Curly Girl Design and was a gift from my dear friend, Jessie. 

Between these two pieces and the soon-to-be-a-real-thing gallery wall, I feel like we've been able to add some color to the gray-tone room. Plus the baby blue dresser helps.  

Ready to pop! 39 weeks and counting! Come on, Baby Bear!


We still have a few things to get done in the nursery, but that shouldn't hold you back, Bear! We'll gladly welcome you to this world even if the window trim isn't painted yet! 

3 comments:

  1. We have the same IKEA organizers in Myka's dresser. They are awesome! Everything looks great and can't wait to meet Baby Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome, Erin!! So excited for you. That little peanut's going to change your life... in all of the best possible ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    king size duvet covers

    ReplyDelete